Pierre Gasly reacts to Esteban Ocon apology with Alpine star to face ‘consequences’

The Alpine pair came to blows on Lap 1 in Monaco and Ocon admitted he was at fault for the collision

-

Pierre Gasly accused his Alpine colleague Esteban Ocon of disrespecting team orders after their collision at the Formula 1 2024 Monaco Grand Prix left team principal Bruno Famin raging.

Gasly qualified 10th ahead of Ocon on Saturday and on the first lap, the latter tried a move down the inside at Portier to get ahead, only for him to crash into Gasly and send his A524 car airborne, before crashing down on the racetrack.

Ocon was forced to retire while Gasly carried on, and despite sustaining some damage to his car, he managed to bring it home to score his first point of the season in P10. However, the 27-year-old was angered by Ocon’s behaviour and demanded talks to clear the air.

“I’m just disappointed with Esteban because it shouldn’t have happened, and for the team. We can’t afford to have this sort of behaviour,” Gasly told Sky Sports F1 after the race.

“We had clear instructions before the race and this hasn’t been respected, and you should never take that much risk to take both cars out with your team-mates. I’m sure it will be discussed and we can’t afford to have a similar situation in the future.”

Ocon was handed a 10-second penalty by the FIA stewards for “causing a collision”, but he retired from the race with terminal damage to his car. As a result, his penalty was not served and will be passed onto the next race, where he faces a three-place grid drop.

Reflecting on the incident, Ocon apologised to the team for the incident and took full responsibility, although the absence of Gasly’s name pointed to their tense relationship.
“Today’s incident was my fault, the gap was too small in the end and I apologise to the team on this one,” Ocon wrote on X.

Famin promises Ocon consequences

It is the latest skirmish between the two French racers, which had already built up the tension heading into the Monaco GP. Last season, Gasly and Ocon were told they would not be allowed to race other for position after colliding on several occasions.

And it appears they could now be separated permanently after Famin told French media that “a radical decision” will be made following the incident – hinting that Ocon’s future could be at risk.

Esteban Ocon could be axed by Alpine. | Alpine F1 Team

“I believe that Esteban Ocon‘s attack was completely out of circumstance, that’s exactly what we didn’t want to see,” Famin told Canal+. “We will draw the consequences. We will cut to the chase. On the first lap at Portier, it wasn’t the place to attempt an attack and leave his team-mate no room.”

It remains to be seen whether Ocon – whose contract expires at the end of the season – will be kicked out of the seat for the next race in Barcelona, or if his contract simply will not be renewed for 2025.

Alpine have their reserve Jack Doohan ready to step in if needed, while former Haas driver Mick Schumacher has been linked with a potential drive for 2025 if Ocon was to leave.

Joe Krishnan
Joe Krishnan is an NCTJ-qualified journalist who has worked for a number of media organisations, including the Daily Express, The Mirror, Evening Standard, The Independent and Bleacher Report. Joe has been following F1 since when he watched Mika Hakkinen clinch the 1999 drivers' championship, and his first taste of real-life racing action was watching David Coulthard spin off into the gravel at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone in 2001.
- Advertisment -

LATEST NEWS

Lewis Hamilton explains why F1 doesn’t need a transfer window

0
Lewis Hamilton has weighed in with his thoughts on whether Formula 1 should adopt a football-style transfer window to...

Forget Ferrari, McLaren are the biggest threat to Red Bull

0
The very fact that Lando Norris was disappointed and frustrated with finishing second at the Formula 1 2024 Canadian...

Horner calls for Perez to bounce back as he heaps praise on Verstappen

0
Team principal Christian Horner for Sergio Perez to get back to from for the 2024 Spanish Grand Prix whilst...

Should F1 adopt a football-style transfer window for drivers? Max Verstappen is the proof...

0
Formula 1 is unlike any other sport, and that's fine - the F1 purists thrive on its unique qualities....

What went wrong for Will Brown, Cam Waters in NASCAR Cup debuts

0
The NASCAR Cup Series had some Australian flavour Sunday when Supercars Championship stars Will Brown and Cameron Waters made...

What we learned from the 2024 Canadian GP

0
Max Verstappen returned to the top step of the podium after a terrible 2024 Monaco Grand Prix with an...

Formula E 2024-25 calendar announced for first Gen3 Evo season

0
Formula E have announced its provisional calendar for the 2024-25 season, which will be the first campaign for the...

Max Verstappen aces huge Canadian GP test as Red Bull and Perez falter

0
While Lando Norris was frustrated with his team, George Russell committed a litany of errors and Lewis Hamilton lamented...

F1 risks repeating mistake with new 2026 regulations announcement

0
Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali unveiled the sport's much-heralded new era of racing promising "a new generation of car...

F1 Winners and Losers of the 2024 Canadian GP

0
The dust settled on a barnstorming 2024 Canadian Grand Prix weekend with Max Verstappen returning to the top step...
- Advertisment -
Exit mobile version