[adinserter block="13"]

Lewis Hamilton reveals previous talks with Ferrari over F1 future

Ferrari were linked with Lewis Hamilton earlier in 2023, before he signed a contract extension with Mercedes.

-

Lewis Hamilton revealed Ferrari have never offered him a contract, but added he has had casual conversations with the most famous team in Formula 1, after it was reported they’d tempted him with a huge deal earlier in 2023.

The F1 rumour mill looked set to explode in May when the Daily Mail reported Ferrari were set to offer Hamilton £40-million to move to Maranello after 2023, when his Mercedes deal was set to expire.

However, Hamilton then rubbished those claims and signed a two-year extension at Mercedes ahead of Ferrari‘s home Italian GP, meaning he’ll stay at Mercedes until he’s 40.

“Never. Okay, we’ve certainly had a few casual conversations,” Hamilton told Swiss newspaper Blick when asked whether Ferrari have ever offered him a contract. “I know a lot of good people there. But I never felt ready to move to Italy.”

Mercedes had been hinting for months that Hamilton‘s contract was effectively done, including Toto Wolff announcing the deal was ’emotionally done’ in July.

However, that was a drop in the ocean compared to 2021, where Mercedes only announced Hamilton‘s extension for the year weeks before pre-season testing was set to begin.

“This is not the first time that the two of us discussed and haggled over details for hours”, Hamilton added. “Always under the motto: From Thursday to Sunday, I belong exclusively to F1.

“There are so many details about my promotional activities. I am in a fortunate position with Toto, he is respected and admired by everyone and it’s easy to negotiate with him. That makes him a great leader.”

Hamilton: When I’m gone, I’m gone

Max Verstappen, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso on the podium at the Australian GP | Peter Fox / Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Hamilton added that when he does quit F1, he will be gone for good. Fernando Alonso and Nico Hulkenberg are both drivers on the current grid who’ve taken breaks from the sport, Hamilton‘s had nearly as many F1 podiums as grand prix entries for the German.

However, Hamilton has only missed one race since making his debut at the 2007 Australian GP – when COVID-19 forced him out of the 2020 Sakhir GP.

“That will not happen to me,” Hamilton said. “When it’s over, that’s when it ends. I can’t imagine standing in the paddock or in the garage – without then getting into a car. But as I’ve said before: never say never.”

Adam Dickinson
Adam Dickinson
An international multi-award-winning journalist, Adam Dickinson has written for Total-Motorsport.com since June 2022 and also contributes to TNT Sports, Eurosport and the Rugby Paper. He's also had articles published in the Daily Telegraph and several local newspapers, previously worked for Last-Lap.co.uk and FeederSeries.net in motorsport, and graduated with a First-Class Journalism Degree from the University of Sheffield having also studied in Oklahoma. Adam started watching F1 by accident in 2007, catching the last race in Indianapolis, and attended his first race as a journalist at the 2023 British Grand Prix.
- Advertisment -

LATEST NEWS

Pascal Wehrlein of Porsche during 2024 Shanghai E-Prix | Formula E

Pascal Wehrlein: Shanghai circuit doesn’t suit Formula E

0
Pascal Wehrlein was less than impressed with Formula E’s Shanghai debut following a Shanghai E-Prix determined by energy saving...
Nico Hulkenberg during 2024 Monaco GP qualifying | Haas F1 Team / LAT Images

Both Haas drivers disqualified in Monaco after using non-compliant part

0
Haas drivers Kevin Magnussen and Nico Hulkenberg have been disqualified from the 2024 Monaco Grand Prix Qualifying classification for...
Charles Leclerc after 2024 Monaco GP Qualifying | Scuderia Ferrari Press Office

Charles Leclerc reveals last-minute issue almost derailed dream Monaco pole positon

0
Charles Leclerc will aim to make it third time lucky at the 2024 Monaco Grand Prix having failing to...
Max Verstappen in the garage during practice ahead of 2024 Monaco Grand Prix | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Max Verstappen slams Red Bull ‘go kart’ after painful Monaco GP qualifying

0
Max Verstappen has revealed the extent of his issues with his Red Bull car left him feeling he was...
Lando Norris during the 2024 Monaco GP | McLaren

‘It shouldn’t happen in F1’ – Lando Norris blasts Monaco for mistake that almost...

0
Lando Norris lambasted organisers of the 2024 Monaco Grand Prix for a sticker issue that almost dumped him out...
Sergio Perez looks on in qualifying for the 2024 Monaco GP | Mark Thompson/Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Sergio Perez finds scapegoat for ‘completely disastrous’ Monaco GP Q1 exit

0
Sergio Perez believes he would've reached Q2 if he hadn't encountered traffic on his final Q1 lap, as he...
Lewis Hamilton at the 2024 Monaco Grand Prix | Mercedes / LAT Images

Lewis Hamilton lost for answers after ‘frustrating’ Monaco GP qualifying

0
Lewis Hamilton expressed his "frustration" with Mercedes' qualifying pace and admitted he was unable to explain their lack of...
Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner at the 2024 Monaco Grand Prix | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Christian Horner explains where Red Bull struggled after dismal Monaco GP qualifying

0
Red Bull boss Christian Horner has conceded their chances of victory at the Formula 1 2024 Monaco Grand Prix...
Charles Leclerc during 2024 Monaco GP during practice | Scuderia Ferrari Press Office

Charles Leclerc denies Verstappen historic pole in breathless Monaco GP qualifying

0
Charles Leclerc will start the Formula 1 2024 Monaco Grand Prix at the front of the grid after the...
Oscar Piastri during the 2024 Monaco GP | McLaren

F1 2024 Monaco GP – Qualifying Results

0
Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc kept his cool in Qualifying after dominating the weekend so far, and claimed pole position...
- Advertisment -