Singapore Grand Prix weather update: Will it rain at Marina Bay?

Singapore Grand Prix weather: Will it rain at Marina Bay and how will conditions affect the F1 race on Sunday?

-

The 2023 Singapore Grand Prix may be impacted by changeable weather conditions, as the chance of rain looms over Sunday’s race at the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

The threat of wet conditions hovered over Saturday’s qualifying as well, though in the end, the storm clouds managed to hold off as the drivers battled it out in what was a thrilling session.

Carlos Sainz came out on top and will start the race from pole position, his second in a row after thrilling the Tifosi at Monza.

An all-Ferrari front row looked to be in the cards when Charles Leclerc crossed the line second, only for Mercedes’ George Russell to split the Scuderia.

Lando Norris and Lewis Hamilton round out the top five, but the big talking point happened further down the field.

Red Bull, who have won every race so far this season, entered the weekend with a chance to clinch the Constructors’ championship. However, those chances look slim following qualifying, given both cars failed to reach Q3.

Max Verstappen slumped to one of his worst qualifying performance of the season and will start 11th after a late lap from Liam Lawson ended the Dutchman’s day early.

Sergio Perez, who has had plenty of struggles on Saturday this season, couldn’t do any better, with the Mexican settling for the 13th fastest time.

Nevertheless, Sainz isn’t ruling out Red Bull just yet given how they’ve been able to claw back positions on race day so far this season.

“I don’t think you can ever discard Max and Red Bull,” Sainz said to the media. “They might turn up tomorrow with with the race pace they’ve had all season and still managed somehow to make it through the field.

Their charge may also be impacted by the weather, which could change the dynamics of Sunday’s race.

Marina Bay weather

What is certain is that the hot and humid conditions are expected to carry over to Sunday, and drivers can expect a high of 29 degrees Celsius.

As for the rain, it could play a big role in who claims victory. There is a 40% chance of rain from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and that figure increases to 60% through 6 p.m and beyond.

However, the hour before the 8 p.m. start is expected to be dry, meaning that should rain fall before then, the heat and well-draining track may dry up enough by the time the lights turn green if a downpour hits.

Adriano Boin
Adriano Boin
Motorsport journalist specialising in Formula 1 and Ferrari.
- Advertisment -

LATEST NEWS

Lewis Hamilton looks on in a press conference at the 2024 pre-season test in Bahrain | Mercedes / Jiri Krenek

Lewis Hamilton upbeat after Mercedes disaster in Chinese GP qualifying: Sh*t happens

0
Lewis Hamilton admits his changes made to his car prior to qualifying for the Formula 1 2024 Chinese Grand...

Christian Horner: Perez driving for Red Bull future

0
Christian Horner praised Sergio Perez's recovery after a chastening 2023 Formula 1 season, as the Mexican completed a Red...
Max Verstappen celebrates pole position after qualifying for the 2024 Chinese Grand Prix | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Starting Grid for F1 2024 Chinese Grand Prix

0
Max Verstappen secured a dominant pole position for the 2024 Chinese Grand Prix, marking Red Bull’s 100th pole in...
Max Verstappen of Red Bull during Sprint Qualifying at the 2024 Chinese Grand Prix | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Max Verstappen roars to Chinese GP pole as Hamilton sinks to new low

0
Max Verstappen will start on pole for the Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix as Lewis Hamilton's wretched start of...
George Russell of Mercedes leads Daniel Ricciardo of Visa Cash App RB during the Sprint ahead of 2024 Chinese Grand Prix | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Chinese Grand Prix 2024 – Qualifying Results

0
Max Verstappen clinched pole position for the 2024 Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix, continuing his dominance with a fifth...
Daniel Ricciardo of Visa Cash App RB during Sprint Qualifying ahead of 2024 Chinese Grand Prix | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

F1 Chinese Grand Prix 2024 Qualifying – Highlights

0
As the Formula 1 season progresses, the intensity mounts at the Shanghai International Circuit with the qualifying session for...
Lewis Hamilton, Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez after the F1 2024 Chinese GP Sprint Race | Mercedes / Wolfgang Wilhelm

Lewis Hamilton offers bleak excuse for lack of Verstappen defence after Rosberg criticism

0
Lewis Hamilton has admitted he did not try to fight Max Verstappen after the Mercedes star was denied a...
Lewis Hamilton looks on ahead of hitting the track in Friday practice at the 2024 Saudi Arabian GP | Sam Bloxham / Mercedes F1 team

Unsympathetic Lewis Hamilton blames Lando Norris for Lap 1 Sprint Race incident

0
Lewis Hamilton offered little sympathy to Lando Norris after the McLaren driver lost the lead of the 2024 Chinese...
Sprint winner Max Verstappen celebrates ahead of 2024 Chinese Grand Prix | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Max Verstappen explains source of Red Bull car issues during Chinese GP Sprint Race

0
A poor Sprint Qualifying effort by Max Verstappen gave everyone hope that Formula 1 might see a different winner...
Carlos Sainz and Charles Leclerc during 2024 Chinese GP weekend | Scuderia Ferrari Press Office

Charles Leclerc demands Sainz talks after Ferrari drivers Chinese GP Sprint clash

0
Charles Leclerc accused his Ferrari team-mate Carlos Sainz of going "over the limit" and said the pair would sit...
- Advertisment -