Dutch GP Strategy: Who’ll win six-team battle for the podium in Zandvoort?

Pirelli give split opinion on best strategy for 2023 Dutch GP

-

A fantastically exciting qualifying session at Zandvoort saw six different teams represented in the top six of the grid for the 2023 Dutch Grand Prix – but who’ll pick up the silverware on Sunday?

There’s likely not much that can stop Max Verstappen taking a record-equalling ninth win in a row, the Dutchman was half a second ahead of second-placed Lando Norris in qualifying while only three other drivers were within a second of his pole time.

Verstappen enjoys a similarly comfortable advantage on race simulations too, so despite the potential for rain-induced uncertainty he’s the 1/5 odds-on favourite to take a third successive victory at his home race.

But it should be a fascinating battle behind. Norris will hope for his third podium in four races while Carlos Sainz and George Russell are gunning for their first of the season, Aston Martin look back to their best and Alex Albon‘s a complete wildcard in fourth.

Who will prevail?

Who dares wins with one or two-stop conundrum

The 2022 Dutch GP saw most teams opt for a three-stop strategy despite how difficult it is to overtake around Zandvoort.

However, Pirelli expect strategists to pick between one or two stops this time around, with cooler temperatures offsetting the softer tyres in 2023.

A hard-medium one-stop will offer track position on the tight and twisty track but the soft has looked competitive so far across the weekend and a two-stop could be the better option overall.

Oscar Piastri and Charles Leclerc start eighth and ninth so their teams should look at sticking them on the more aggressive medium/softs strategy and hope they can make up positions quickly.

McLaren seem to have the edge on Mercedes and Ferrari on race pace, but Aston Martin looked very competitive on Lance Stroll‘s FP2 long run and Alonso should be well-placed to pick up his podium since the Canadian GP.

And what of Williams? They were very good in free practice, keeping pace with McLaren, and the wheels are yet to fall off their weekend so far. An Albon podium still sounds like a long shot but don’t count it out, while Logan Sargeant is very well-placed to challenge for his first points of the season too.

What about rain?

Fernando Alonso of Aston Martin during Dutch GP qualifying | Aston Martin F1 team

There’s a real divergence in rain likelihood for Sunday afternoon, with some forecasts predicting a 75% chance of a downpour, others 25%.

If rain does come in it’s likely to be light showers, and drivers will need to nail the jump to intermediates.

Verstappen, Norris, Russell and Alonso have all proven they’re in the top tier of F1’s rain gods while Albon and Sainz aren’t far behind in that regard either.

The dry-intermediate tyre crossover point looks to be in the high one-minute-teens based on qualifying, where there was the usual problem of a dry line on track but next to no grip outside of that.

However, Zandvoort doesn’t have the geographic spread of some other circuits so any rain is likely to cover the whole area of the track pretty quickly especially given the high-speed winds gusting in off the North Sea coast.

Regardless, the threat of rain could force more teams to push for a one-stop to avoid being caught out by a surprise shower straight after pitting for more slicks.

Adam Dickinson
Adam Dickinson
An international multi-award-winning journalist, Adam Dickinson has written for Total-Motorsport.com since June 2022 and also contributes to TNT Sports, Eurosport and the Rugby Paper. He's also had articles published in the Daily Telegraph and several local newspapers, previously worked for Last-Lap.co.uk and FeederSeries.net in motorsport, and graduated with a First-Class Journalism Degree from the University of Sheffield having also studied in Oklahoma. Adam started watching F1 by accident in 2007, catching the last race in Indianapolis, and attended his first race as a journalist at the 2023 British Grand Prix.
- Advertisment -

LATEST NEWS

Carlos Sainz during practice for the 2024 Spanish GP | Scuderia Ferrari Press Office

Carlos Sainz hits out at Lewis Hamilton over unpunished Spanish GP move

0
Carlos Sainz believes Lewis Hamilton should've been given a penalty for his overtaking move that forced the Ferrari driver...
Max Verstappen during 2024 Spanish GP Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Max Verstappen warning to Red Bull and demands improvement

0
Max Verstappen demands Red Bull improvement as another tough race saw the reigning world champion have to really work...
Start of the 2024 Spanish Grand Prix | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

LIVE F1 Spanish Grand Prix 2024 – Reaction as McLaren mistakes costly as Verstappen...

0
Welcome to Total-Motorsport’s F1 live coverage of the Spanish GP 2024. Held at the iconic Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, today’s race...
Lewis Hamilton during 2024 Spanish GP weekend | Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton brushes off furious Sainz after Spanish GP incident

0
Lewis Hamilton risked angering Carlos Sainz after claiming the Ferrari driver "left the door open" to overtake him during...
Lando Norris of McLaren after the 2024 Spanish Grand Prix | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Lando Norris: McLaren easily had the best car at Spanish GP

0
Lando Norris believes Spanish GP victory should have been his as McLaren had the best car in Barcelona, but...
Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner at the 2024 Monaco Grand Prix | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

Christian Horner warns of Norris danger to Verstappen after Spanish GP battle

0
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner warned that Lando Norris and McLaren are their strongest competitors following a nail-biting...
McLaren team principal Andrea Stella at the 2023 Belgian GP | McLaren F1 team

McLaren chief pinpoints where 2024 Spanish GP was lost

0
McLaren's team boss they lost the 2024 Spanish GP by Turn 1 as a poor start saw Lando Norris...
Max Verstappen, Lando Norris and Lewis Hamilton on the podium after the 2024 Spanish GP | Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool

F1 Standings after 2024 Spanish Grand Prix

0
Max Verstappen showcased his racing prowess at the 2024 Spanish Grand Prix, clinching his seventh victory of the Formula...
Lando Norris during the 2024 Spanish GP weekend | McLaren

F1 Fastest Lap: Spanish GP 2024

0
The Spanish GP Fastest Lap award is given to the driver who posts the quickest time over one timed...
Lando Norris during the 2024 Spanish GP weekend | McLaren

F1 2024 Spanish GP: Driver of the Day

0
Lando Norris was crowned 2024 Spanish GP Driver of the Day, but couldn't land the biggest prize of all...
- Advertisment -