Red Bull and Max Verstappen were a class apart once again as they blew the opposition away at the 2023 Austrian Grand Prix, even managing an extra pit stop to get fastest lap as he finished ahead of Charles Leclerc in the Ferrari.
Ferrari almost managed a double podium, but Carlos Sainz had the disappointment of a five-second penalty help the surging Red Bull of Sergio Perez come through from 15th into third, pushing the Spaniard into fourth at the end of the race.
However, penalty was the word of the day at the Red Bull Ring as numerous drivers were given five-second punishments for not adhering to track limits in Austria, then after the race Aston Martin protested the results suggesting that numerous other drivers should have been punished and weren’t.
McLaren’s Lando Norris, who was not a driver given a penalty, finished fifth but was bumped up to fourth after Sainz was handed a retrospective 10-second penalty. Fernando Alonso in the Aston Martin was another not penalised also took advantage of the Ferrari driver’s woes.
Lewis Hamilton in the Mercedes took a five-second penalty during the race, and was handed a further 10-second penalty by the stewards dropping him to eighth place.
F1 Austrian GP 2023 Full Race Results
|1||Max Verstappen||Red Bull||1:25:33.607|
|3||Sergio Perez||Red Bull||+17.188|
|5||Fernando Alonso||Aston Martin||+30.317|
|9||Lance Stroll||Aston Martin||+59.043|
|12||Zhou Guanyu||Alfa Romeo||+1 Lap|
|13||Logan Sargeant*||Williams||+1 Lap|
|14||Esteban Ocon*||Alpine||+1 Lap|
|15||Valtteri Bottas||Alfa Romeo||+1 Lap|
|16||Oscar Piastri||McLaren||+1 Lap|
|17||Nyck de Vries*||AlphaTauri||+1 Lap|
|18||Kevin Magnussen*||Haas||+1 Lap|
|19||Yuki Tsunoda*||AlphaTauri||+1 Lap|
- De Vries – 5 second time penalty – Forcing another driver off the track
- Sargeant – 5 second time penalty – Track limits
- Magnussen – 5 second time penalty – Track limits
- Ocon – 5 second time penalty (x2) – Track limits
- De Vries – 5 second time penalty – Track limits
- Tsunoda – 5 second time penalty – Track limits
- Tsunoda – 10 second time penalty – Track limits
- Sainz – 10 second time penalty – Track limits
- Hamilton – 10 second time penalty – Track limits
- Gasly – 10 second time penalty – Track limits
- Albon – 10 second time penalty – Track limits
- Ocon – 10 second time penalty – Track limits
- De Vries – 10 second time penalty – Track limits